Det handler om chokolade. Men også om en god historie, bønner, et forretningsimperium og en mand, der hedder Angus. Hotel Chcolat er ikke blot en forretning i København, men nærmere et konglomerat. Jeg fik mulighed for at lave en Q&A med manden bag – jeg takkede ja, tak. Og du har resultatet på engelsk lige her.
Angus – could You please tell us how You got into the world of chocolate?
– My father is an ice cream maker and my grandmother had cake shops so I think it’s in the genes!
It seems like You’re living the sweet and good life, and You also work by the “bean to bar” philosophy. How should one understand that mantra?
– In our Ostergade chocolate workshop we are roasting beans (often from our own estate depending on harvest) to make chocolate and special drinks from them – right in the middle of Copenhagen’s top shopping street. You could really say we do ‘tree to bar’ as we are growers and makers.
What’s so fantastic about chocolate, in Your opinion?
– It’s great to be in the ‘happiness’ business!
The company also owns a hotel – how did that adventure become reality?
– Sitting on the verandah of the old estate house watching the sun go down and wishing we could bring our customers to this magical place was the start. Drinking lots of local Saint Lucian rum was the catalyst to make it happen. Having a super-talented team at Hotel Chocolat meant that we pulled it off.
Co-branding seems to be another buzz – what’s the latest thing You’ve done?
– We gave the name of our cocoa plantation to our rare and vintage chocolate collection – Rabot 1745 (the date the estate was established)
The perfect chocolate moment?
– Shortly after breakfast for me…
What is the most misunderstood thing about chocolate?
– The health aspects
And what would we most definitely not know about chocolate?
– The cocoa tree bears fruit almost all year round!
What can we expect to see from Your company in the future?
– Further ideas which are both authentic and innovative
What should every man/woman know about chocolate?
– Cocoa growing is seen as one of the lowest jobs – it should be more like owning a Bordeaux vineyard. Together we can change this.
Three quickies to Angus:
Where have you been and what have you done this summer?
– Best trip was to Berlin!
Where and with whom did you last have a memorable dinner?
– Libby my wife, at Maven in Copenhagen
Which watch are you wearing?
– It’s an iPhone!